Sunday 3 May 2015

When there's a WILPF, there's a way

Recently I have been wavering in my faith; my faith in my being an actor and my faith in the industry as a whole. It is my involvement with WILPF and a play called 'Breaking the Silence' that has refreshed my soul as an actor and my dynamism as a woman.
In February I was lucky enough to travel to New York with Breaking the Silence to perform 3 shows at The Soho Playhouse and 1 unique reading at the UN with WILPF. Starting drama school at 18 I believed theatre could change the world and despite years of frustration and disappointment, working at the UN began to reinstate my teenage belief. BTS was originally written for Human Rights Watch as a collection of stories about rape survivors, domestic abuse & human trafficking, to breathe life into words of silenced women, voicing unsung songs from worlds we have never encountered and dire situations we hope to never face and to do this in a room of researchers and policy makers was truly overwhelming.
This week I have again been working with The Women's International League of Peace and Freedom (WILPF) celebrating their 100 year anniversary. Hundreds of women and men, Nobel laureates and professors gathered in The Hague to ignite ideas, share stories and promote change. Performing excerpts from BTS, we shared the stage with a plethora of inspiring people. From fiery freedom poetry to an all encompassing belly dancing workshop; the space was vibrant and alive. Dr Kaouthar wowed the audience shaking her booty in a beautiful traditional, non sexualised way that I can only dream my future daughters would learn. A community of women and peace makers snaked their hips with undulating arms in protest of war.

The following day we performed the full play on the immense stage at The World Forum and selfishly felt that actor high! The intense joy of performance and using ones craft for a valid & tangible purpose. 

WILPF supports the empowerment of women and I feel empowered, leaving a conference saturated with new visions and inclusivity. Empowered not only as an actor but a woman with a voice to be heard; I don't know where I will be in the next year but I know that I will fight to be included. I echo the closing words of the play:

'We know that when women are active participants in civil society, when women are included in the peace process, when women are respected, where women are part of the dialogue- there is great stability and greater progress- faster.'
With thanks to Katrina Syran, Susan Craig and the cast and creatives of Breaking the Silence.
Keep up to date with WILPF
Watch BTS monologues live at the UN

No comments:

Post a Comment